The mission of the Violence Prevention Center is to serve individuals and families in Cook County affected by domestic and sexual violence and to act as a catalyst in building healthy relationships and developing a community where violence is not tolerated.

Violence Prevention Center. Cascade Building, 21 W. 2nd St., Grand Marais, MN 55604.

(218) 387-1262. (218) 387-1237.

volunteer and make a difference

in your community 

Become an Advocate: We offer advocacy training once a year or by demand. Interested parties should call or email the VPC office to learn more about the position and fill out an application. Potential volunteer advocates must attend our 40-hour training program which includes both classroom time and online work. At the completion of our training program, attendees will be certified as domestic and sexual violence advocates, and are able to provide on-call phone services. Once you are certified to provide free and confidential services to victims of abuse, you have the option of going on-call. Click                  to download the volunteer application and contact us for more info 218-387-1262,


This job is truly No Experience Necessary! 

We don't require or inquire whether or not our advocates are survivors of abuse. It is all about personality and fit. Some characteristics we look for in an advocate are; passionate about supporting others, compassion, ability to maintain confidentiality and healthy/appropriate boundaries, and good communication and listening skills. We want everyone to have the powerful opportunity to help someone else and our clients to feel empowered by their receipt of services. 

Once our advocates have completed the training they will be required to attend monthly 1-hour advocate meetings as well as sign-up for an average of 2-5 on-call shifts with a maximum of 7 shifts a month.  We like to fill weekends up first because the staff needs a break too! On-call shifts are Monday- Friday from 4pm to 8am and Saturday and Sundays 8am-4 pm or 4pm-8 am (you do not have to remain awake for your shifts, just have your phone nearby.) We are flexible with the advocate's schedules and understand if you need to take time off. 

When an advocate is on-call we ask that they remain in Cook County (not hard to do!), do not consume any alcohol or mood-altering substances, and have cell or landline phone services at all times. We also require that advocates have a valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle when on-call. 


We would be delighted to explain in-depth what our training entails, please call or email to set up a meeting.